Thursday, May 16, 2013

Feeding the strongwilled

Ali, our 4 year old, is our *most* strong -willed child. I say most because, let's get real, they are all pretty hard headed. However, as of late, she has tended to demonstrate this trait a bit more than her siblings. Now, I know that this maybe due to her being, you know, four. Whatever the case, for the past couple of weeks, OK months,  she has tried to exhibit her stubbornness with food. Dinner, in particular. Even if I make her favorite food for dinner, she will find a fault with it and take over an hour to eat.

While frustrated with her a few weeks ago, I asked her why she is having such a hard time eating the food. To this she responded that I never make the food she likes. Totally not true! But, I decided to play her game and came up with some kind of a solution. Every week while having family home evening, we assign a "day" to each person in the family.

M- Ali
T- Mom
W-AJ
TH- Dad
Fr-Pizza (no matter what!)

Each person gets to pick the dinner meal for "their" day.



As you can imagine, there is a catch! If any form of unwillingness to eat is exhibited on any day, they proceed to lose "their" day the following week. Talk about high stakes!

 So far it has worked out pretty well. It has also allowed my husband and I, an opportunity to introduce new recipes on "our" days.

What strategies do you use to feed your kids?


Related Articles

1 comment :

  1. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in
    your article seem to be running off the screen in Ie. I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.
    The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue solved
    soon. Many thanks

    Take a look at my website ali5s1nhbo.busythumbs.com

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Categories

About