Monday, June 25, 2012

Making an over the bed Canopy

I knew I wanted some kind of unique feature in Allie’s room, and I was leaning towards a bed canopy but did not really have an idea how to execute it. After days of mulling it over in my head, my hubby and I created one together out of basic items we had in the home.
I did not want the cloth to be attached to the ceiling, but instead preferred something that will hang in 
some fashion. 
Then I remembered I owned this:
DSCN4526

Which in my old home, looked like this :
sale of 11442 038
We then spray painted it with an off white paint and waited until it was completely dry
DSCN4529
I was kind of stumped at this point and was considering hanging it as usual and filling it with SOMETHING.
DSCN4570
But, right at the knick of time, in came my awesome hubby with a great idea…. “Why don’t you flip it over”, he said. BRILLIANT!!  He proceeded to remove the chains that the fixture came with originally.
DSCN4642
Then, he flipped the basket over, and drilled a hole right in the middle of it.
IMG161
\IMG163
He then took one of the chains and pulled it through the hole and secured it with a small screw and bolt on the other side.
IMG165
IMG166
IMG167
At this point I stepped in and gave it another coat of spray paint. After the paint was dry, I used 3 yards of purple tulle that I picked up at Walmart for a total of $2.98.

DSCN4670



 I cut the 3 yards in half, vertically, and hand sewed the fabric onto the basket leaving about six inches “seam” allowance on the top. I made sure to start sewing a few inches past the mid point of the basket on both sides, so that the fabric overlaps somewhat when pulled apart.


DSCN4673

After the fabric is sewn all the way around the basket, sew some flowers that go with your décor around the rim of the basket.

DSCN4674
Once your flowers are in place you are done! Pick out the perfect spot for your canopy and hang!


DSCN4683
For the look I was going for, I had to cut some inches off the top of the fabric in order to be able to fluff it out on the top. I aslo pulled open the fabric and secured it on both sides of Allie’s bed with a slight droop, but you can basically do anything you want to it.



Linked to:

The Shabby Nest



UndertheTableandDreaming

Related Articles

8 comments :

  1. That is an awesome idea, it turned out beautiful, my granddaughter will love one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Marjorie! I am sure she will, please let me know how yours turns out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I'm visiting from Craft-O-Manic Monday. This is really lovely!! It turned out so nice. I have been looking at these for my daughter, but they can be so expensive. This is a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing. I am now a new follower and would be honored if you would visit and follow me back at http://lifeofblocks.blogspot.com/ Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out adorable! I love it, and such a great tutorial. Your newest follower the newbie party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great way to repurpose!!! I just bought a fabric canopy, but I am thinking I should reconsider that purchase and try this!!! Great idea... and very practical!
    Denise@ buttonsandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for checking it out Anastasia. I will be sure to follow you as well thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kathy so appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One Whimsical Girl, it is soo easy give it a try and let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Categories

About